APS Journals Production Manager
Position Title: APS Journals Production Manager
Reports To: VP of Publications
Are you interested in joining an experienced editorial team working on the top-tier journals in their discipline? Would you be excited to help scientists publish research that directly improves the world food supply? Join the staff of The American Phytopathological Society (APS). We are looking for a production editor to oversee production for our six journals.
Primary Objectives of the Position
The journals production editor is responsible for overseeing the publication quality and ensuring the timely delivery of online and print content for APS’s six scientific journals (three quarterly and three monthly). The journals production editor works directly with a team of 8 to 10 staff, including technical copy editors, an online content quality specialist, and a marketing manager, a graphic designer, as well as contract editors, a manuscript management vendor, an online hosting vendor, and print/composition vendors to ensure our publications are on time and of high quality. The journals production editor position provides an opportunity to work with an experienced team to maximize efficiencies in the workflows of well-established journals that are rated the best in their subject area.
- Ensure accurate and timely publication of journal content to meet APS standards and styles.
- Oversee online vendors to ensure we receive high-quality deliverables that meet industry standards.
- Monitor quality and ensure that two monthly print journals are produced and mailed on schedule.
- Work with technical copy editors and publications leadership to ensure author instructions are up-to-date and harmonized across journals.
- Work with editors-in-chief on special issues, new article types, erratum workflows, and other specialized content.
- Advise and assist authors with questions regarding manuscript submissions.
- Oversee vendors and staff on production of author invoices to ensure page fees are routinely billed and paid.
- Liaise with discovery index vendors to ensure our journals meet requirements and supply correct data.
- Work with the publications marketing manager to recommend website enhancements and develop new strategies to improve our online journals site to maximize interest and downloads.
- Forecast and monitor expenses for journals and develop annual journal budgets in collaboration with VP of publications.
- Minimum 5 years of related experience in Scholarly/Scientific (STM) Publishing.
- BA or BS in journalism, English, publishing, or related degree or significant related experience.
- Superb organizational and prioritization skills.
- Excellent written/verbal communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to inspire peers.
- Strong attention to detail, analytical skills, project management, and budget management.
- Ability to work in a team environment to efficiently meet deadlines, manage multiple schedules/details, and maintain quality in a multi-faceted workflow.
- Able to work and thrive in a scientific publishing environment and eager to represent scientists and their research in a manner suitable to the high-level audiences we serve.
- Strong, flexible, strategic thinking skills and the ability to gain input from staff, authors, leaders, and vendors to improve publishing workflows and outcomes.
- A passion for new technologies and emerging trends and a working knowledge of journal website design including XML-first workflows, CSS, HTML, and production specifications.
- Strong Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint skills, and experience working with graphical presentations of complex materials online and in print.
- Prior experience with Atypon and ScholarOne platforms is a plus.
Employee benefits include healthcare insurance, dental, paid vacations, paid holidays, personal holidays, paid sick days, flexible in-office or remote options, and many more.