APS Publications Communications & Marketing Associate
Are you interested in joining our publishing team to amplify and promote the scientific content of top-tier books and journals? Would you be excited to support researchers whose work directly improves the quality of the world’s food supply? Join the staff of Scientific Societies, a nonprofit representing seven organizations from the food, brewing, and plant health sciences.
Primary Areas of Responsibility:
This position is responsible for the integrated communications and marketing activities of books, journals, webinars, and other publication products. Qualified candidates will have exceptional project management, organizational, and interpersonal skills and be able to pivot between manuscripts, styles, and tasks.
- Amplify Content: Identify, promote, and amplify key peer-reviewed print and online content across our scientific publications to increase views, downloads, submissions, purchases, and subscriptions, utilizing industry best practices and audience-specific approaches.
- Plan and Manage: Contribute to strategic planning by conducting market research on potential audiences and analyzing results. Develop, implement, and produce integrated web, social (Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook), and traditional (direct mail and print) marketing campaigns.
- Work Within an Organizational Matrix Structure: Create, edit, deliver, and optimize communication pieces working with relevant staff for content direction, design, and distribution within a matrix of publication leadership and program directors to determine campaign messaging. Evaluate and report regularly on strategies and results.
Marketing & Communications Responsibilities:
Translational Writing to Amplify Published Content
- Write and prepare monthly e-newsletters for distribution to scientific audiences.
- Write and prepare news releases at a translational level for broad distribution.
- Write about key content for member newsletters, newscaps, journals, blogs, websites, and other channels.
- Write benefit-driven copy about publications for online stores and other channels.
- Develop copy and design strategies for publisher pages on organization websites.
- Develop key copy for social media inputs according to best practices.
- Work with authors, editors, and key staff to ensure that communications are presented at a high level and are relevant to the scientific communities we serve.
- Develop and implement marketing and communications strategies for specific audiences and within specified timeframes and budgets.
- Manage multiple projects and campaigns from concept through completion, and communicate key milestones.
- Identify two-way marketing and communications opportunities across a variety of business centers, and work with other marketing staff to share promotional opportunities.
Content Analysis and Reporting to Improve Strategies
- Analyze top-cited citation and download statistics for curation of content to be featured across communications channels.
- Monitor and report usage statistics for all online products for curation of content to be featured across channels.
- Monitor open and click-through rates for digital communications to ensure meeting or exceeding industry standards.
- Regularly solicit constructive feedback, and develop innovations to improve strategies.
- Monitor sales reports and revise promotion strategies to improve results.
- Three to five years of related experience in scholarly/scientific or medical (STM) publishing
- BA or BS in communications, marketing, journalism, English, publishing, or related degree or significant related experience
- Superb organizational and prioritization skills
- Excellent written/verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong attention to detail, analytical skills, and project management skills
- Ability to work in a team environment to efficiently meet deadlines, manage multiple schedules/details, and maintain quality in a multifaceted workflow
- Ability to work and thrive in a scientific publishing environment and enthusiasm for representing scientists and their research in a manner suitable to high-level audiences
- Strong Microsoft Word skills and experience working with graphic presentations of scientific content and email marketing platforms.
Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required.
Why Scientific Societies?
We offer remote hybrid work schedules, excellent health, dental and vision insurance programs, matching retirement benefits, 37.5-hour work weeks with ½ day Fridays during the summer months, 10 holidays a year plus sick time that accrues. Scientific Societies also invests in their staff with professional development opportunities, leave time and a flexible work culture.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter documenting qualifications EEO/AA employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, or national origin.